Great show tonite! All three contestants had to perform three songs, and videos were shown of each during their hometown visits this past weekend. The first round songs were judge’s choice, the second round songs were the producer’s choice (where was Clive?), and the third round songs were the contestant’s choice.
First round: Judges choice
1. Jordin Sparks – Simon chose “Wishing on a Star”. Paula and Randy liked it, Simon liked the vocals but hated the arrangement.
2. Blake Lewis – Paula chose “Roxanne”. Randy and Paula loved it, Simon said it was “copycat”.
3. Melinda Doolittle – Randy chose “I Believe in You and Me”. All three judges loved it.
Second round: Producer’s choice
1. Jordin Sparks – “She Works Hard for the Money”. Randy and Paula loved it; Simon (again) hated the arrangement.
2. Blake Lewis – “This Love” – Great performance, all three judges loved it.
3. Melinda Doolittle – “Nutbush City Limits”. All the judges loved it. Great job by Melinda.
Third round: Contestant’s choice
1. Jordin Sparks – “I Who Have Nothing”. Randy and Paula thought it was great, Simon felt it was “too old” for her, and said he wished she had chosen something else.
2. Blake Lewis – “When I Get You Alone”. All three judges loved it.
3. Melinda Doolittle – “I am Woman”. Another great performance by Melinda, all three judges loved it.
Ryan asked the judges if they had predictions, Randy said he thought it would be “two girls” in the finale, Paula refused to make a prediction, Simon said only that he wanted “his girl Melinda” there. I loved Blake and Melinda in the first round, Blake in the second round, and Jordin in the third. Melinda really is always good, no matter what she sings. I don’t think she’s had a really bad performance the entire season.. on the other hand, I also think Blake is very good, he’s much more contemporary and I think he’s much more “commercial” than the other two. Jordin is very talented and is probably the one that the producers can “mold” into what they want, more easily than they can the other two.
I have no idea who will leave tomorrow night, but the only way I’ll be shocked is if it’s Melinda.